Tuesday 20 January 2009

Second life- Vanity

I made my character fat to see what it looks like but the body just blew up and disappeared. Was that meant to happen? If it is, is it trying to send out some weird message to the world?
I thought about second life on a basic level today. What is its purpose? Why are people so attracted to it. Identity that's why. You can be who you want to be with out causing any disruption to your daily life. You can look how you want to look in a blink of an eye. That is the aspect I explored today. I wanted to change my appearance to suit how I really am but I messed around with being fat, thin, yellow, tall. I can see the attraction but I still think its setting people up for disappointment in real life- it definitely not that easy to change. 
 
On the other hand they had less individual application. Second life gave me a list of greetings. They're really cheesy and quite stereotypical. In my opinion it doesn't give your character much individuality. it's as if the conversation start with a cast that you have to fit into. 

No comments: