Thursday 27 November 2008




Lately I have been researching a lot about different design methodologies. I have come across storyboards, design conversations and Broadbents analogical methods. Even through I hadn't studied design conversation and in particular Broadbents theory I found I have been using them in most instances with out realising it. 

Broadbents theory is to create a narrative which can be used to link together the elements of your design. It relates to most of my work even when I have created fine art as evidently when I paint I try to create a story through the paint that people can relate to. This has also applied to my pixilation animation and one shot film but I have been telling the story in different medias to express the narrative, e.g. I used about 400 plus shots with their own unique composition to tell a story (composition, colour, facial expressions etc.) 

In comparison I found that we used the structure of a design conversation without thinking about it. Certain members of the group took different roles as the critic, the learner, the lawyer etc to contribute. Even though it was crucial that we worked in group I find this happens a lot in the design world when designers discuss ideas, for example if they were advertising a shop every person in the group would have a different image of it. Whereas if they drew it then everyone would be limited to the ideas linked to that one image.

Below is a diagram of how a design conversation works. Incidentally this is a basic structure of how we planned our one shot film.



No comments: